CEREC Machine: A Game-Changer in Restorative Dentistry
Here at Clover Dental & Implant Centre, we want our patients to achieve a beautiful and healthy smile using expert care and first-rate technology. As part of this mission, we are proud to offer CEREC same-day crowns. Our dentist in Southampton provides access to advanced materials and technologies that enable us to restore teeth to their original function and appearance in just a single visit.
One of these technologies is the CEREC machine, a state-of-the-art device that allows our dentists to design, mill, and place restorations all under one roof. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at the CEREC machine and how it’s changing the face of restorative dentistry.
What is a CEREC Machine?
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics, and it’s a system that allows dentists to create custom restorations in their practice. The machine uses CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) technology to create restorations such as crowns, veneers, and inlays/onlays from blocks of ceramic material. The process starts with a digital impression of your tooth, which is captured using an intraoral scanner. The CEREC software then uses this impression to create a 3D model of the tooth, which we can manipulate on-screen to design the restoration.
Once the design is complete, the CEREC machine mills the restoration from a block of ceramic material in a matter of minutes. Our dentists can then bond the restoration to the tooth using dental adhesive, and the patient leaves the practice with a fully restored tooth in just one visit.
How long does CEREC take?
Unlike conventional restorations, which may take a few weeks to produce, the CEREC ones can be created and fitted in just one visit. It depends on the case in hand but sometimes CEREC can be completed within just one hour.
What are the benefits of CEREC?
- A damaged tooth can be given a new lease with tooth matching ceramics.
- It’s fast, everything is neatly sorted in a single appointment. A lab-produced crown normally requires two or three visits, so CEREC saves you precious time.
- Only one anaesthetic is needed because it’s a one-visit procedure.
- We can keep an eye on the whole process because the restoration is being made in-house.
- With no waiting between appointments, there’s no need for a temporary restoration to keep your tooth safe.
- It’s more economical as you will need fewer appointments and there are no external lab costs.
- Great for nervous patients as the process is comfortably quick.
What’s involved in the CEREC process?
- We prepare the tooth in question just as we would for a normal crown or veneer, but instead of using traditional methods and taking an impression of the tooth, we take a 3D pic using a special camera.
- The CEREC software is used to make a highly accurate 3D model of your tooth from which we will design your smart new restoration.
- The design will be refined by your dentist using the CAD software.
- When we are totally happy with this design, we send the data to our onsite milling machine.
- The machine cleverly creates the new tooth fitting from a colour-matched ceramic block.
- Once the restoration is perfect and blends in with your other teeth, we’ll fix it permanently to your prepared tooth, and you will be ready to show off your new smile!
Overall, the CEREC machine is a game-changer in restorative dentistry, allowing dentists to provide high-quality, custom restorations in a single visit. While it has a few limitations, the benefits of the CEREC machine are clear, and it’s becoming an increasingly popular option for dental practices around the world. If you’re in need of an exceptional dentist in Southampton and a dental restoration, ask us about CEREC and if it would be a suitable option for your individual case.Back to blog index